July 22 – August 2, 2024
Monday – Friday, 10AM – 6PM
Ages 14 to 17
“Stage One is truly the most all-encompassing well-rounded program there is. It does a very good job at approaching each of the three skills (acting, singing, dancing) in ways that are very individualized to each students own needs.”
— Marcus, Stage One Student (2021, 2022)
“Stage One is great in how the education is really personalized, which is hard to find in other programs”.
— Charlotte (2022)
“I feel that Stage One has made me a more well-rounded artist. I would recommend this program to any serious, musical theatre performer.”
— Clare, Stage One Student (2020)
Stage One is not your typical musical theatre program. It is a two-week musical theatre workshop for the young, aspiring musical theatre student with an emphasis on reaching the individuals where they are. Stage One’s emphasis is on personalized, intimate training that helps each individual student reach their level best and helps them overcome their personal weaknesses.
This popular program provides in-depth experience in the world of professional musical theater. Throughout the two weeks, students hone their vocal, dance and acting skills under personalized, supportive instruction from a group of core faculty members, each a theatrical professional. Each year’s curriculum is completely new; customized after the core faculty has seen their auditions.
In addition to daily training in acting, music and dance, Stage One also incorporates several masterclasses from different DC theater professionals, local university faculty and members of Signature’s Artistic Department. Stage One is an incredible opportunity for high school students to work with award-winning actors, directors, choreographers, musicians, casting directors and university faculty.
At the end of the two weeks, students are given the opportunity to share their experiences in an informal class demonstration for family and friends. There is no formal showcase. Every moment of Stage One is focused on pure training, enabling the students to give stronger performances long after the program has ended.
The Daily Schedule
A day at Stage One may look something like this:
10AM – 12PM: Dance
12PM – 12:30PM: LUNCH
12:30PM – 2:30PM: Voice
2:30 – 2:45PM: BREAK
2:45PM – 4:45PM: Acting
4:45PM – 5PM: BREAK
5PM – 6PM: Masterclass
The final day of the program concludes with a one-hour informal class demonstration for friends and family.
Auditions for Stage One 2024 will take place on March 16, 2024 at Signature Theatre beginning at 10AM. Auditioning for Stage One is a three step process:
- Register: If you want to guarantee an early slot for the private audition portion of the audition, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a specific audition time. Those who do not register in advance will be seen for the private portion once pre-registered students have been seen. Pre-registration appointments can be made beginning January 2, 2024.
- Dance audition: All auditioning students begin the day promptly at 10AM for a group dance call. This is a mandatory step of the audition. Following the dance audition, students will be given time to change clothing and prepare for the next step.
- Vocal and Acting audition: Following the dance call, students will be seen individually for a vocal and acting audition (this is the part you can preregister for!). Auditioning students need two things: A prepared, memorized, contemporary, 1-minute monologue; A 32-bar musical theatre song. An accompanist will be provided. Following your private audition, you’re free to go!
Pre-Recorded Audition Option
If you cannot attend the live auditions on March 16, you may apply by submitting three separate pre-recorded audition videos:
- Video 1: A prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue.
- Video 2: A 32-bar musical theater song (you may use a live accompaniment or a pre-recorded track. If using a track, please play your track on a different device than the one you are filming on.)
- Video 3: A dance video that showcases your dance experience and ability.
Once you have takes that you are satisfied with, upload them as separate YouTube videos. When you upload your videos, please make sure that it is uploaded as an “Unlisted” video and not as a “Private” video as several faculty members may view it.
Once you have created the three required videos, please upload them to the link below, along with a headshot and resume.
Pre-recorded video auditions are due by March 22, 2024.
Tuition for Stage One 2024 will be $955. There is currently no fellowship assistance available for Stage One.
Have questions about Stage One?
Want to know if this program is right for you? Email us at email@example.com or call 571 527 1854 to learn more.
Instructors have included:
Acclaimed performers: Evan Casey, Susan Derry, Erin Driscoll, Joshua Morgan, Tracy Lynn Olivera, Nova Payton and Bobby Smith
Signature staff: Kelly Crandall d’Amboise, Matthew Gardiner, Eric Schaeffer, Matt Strote and David Zobell
Choreographers, Directors and Fight Choreographers: Kathleen Akerley, Joe Calarco, Pauline Grossman, Maurice Johnson, Casey Kaleba, Matt Reckeweg and Mallory Shear
Local music directors: Warren Freeman, Elisa Rosman and Bill Yanesh
University faculty: Melissa Flaim, Brian MacDonald and Jim Van Slyke