July 29 – August 9, 2019
Monday – Friday, 10AM – 6PM
Stage One is a two-week workshop that gives the young aspiring musical theater student, 14 – 17 years old, an in-depth experience in the world of professional musical theater. Students participate in classes and master classes, from 10AM to 6PM, weekdays from July 29 to August 9.
Throughout the two weeks, students hone their vocal, dance and acting skills under personalized, supportive instruction from musical theater professionals. In addition to daily training in acting, music and dance, Stage One also incorporates daily master classes from different DC theater professionals. With a different master class instructor every day, this is an incredible opportunity for high schools students to work with award-winning actors, directors, choreographers, musicians and casting directors.
At the end of the two weeks, students are given the opportunity to share their experiences in an informal class demonstration for family and friends. There is no formal showcase.
Auditions for Stage One 2019 will take place on March 9, 2019 beginning at 10AM. Auditioning for Stage One is a three step process:
- Register: If you want to guarantee an early slot for the private audition portion of the audition, we recommend that you call 571 527 1857 to set up a specific audition time. Those who do not register in advance will be seen for the private portion once pre-registered students have been seen. Pre-registration appointments can be made beginning February 1, 2019.
- Dance audition: All auditioning students begin the day promptly at 10AM for a group dance call. This is a mandatory step of the audition. Following the dance audition, students will be given time to change clothing and prepare for the next step.
- Vocal and Acting audition: Following the dance call, students will be seen individually for a vocal and acting audition (this is the part you can preregister for!). Auditioning students need two things: A prepared, memorized, contemporary, 1-minute monologue; A 32-bar musical theatre song. An accompanist will be provided. Following your private audition, you’re free to go!
If you cannot attend the on-site auditions at Signature, you may apply by sending a video submission to email@example.com consisting of:
- A prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue.
- A 32-bar musical theater song.
- A demonstration of your dance and movement experience.
- Resume with contact information.
Video submissions must be submitted by March 10, 2019.
Tuition for Stage One is $954. There is currently no fellowship assistance available for Stage One.
Instructors have included:
Acclaimed performers: Matthew Anderson, Evan Casey, Susan Derry, Joshua Morgan, Tracy Lynn Olivera, and Bobby Smith
Signature staff: Joe Calarco, Matthew Gardiner, Eric Schaeffer, Matt Strote and David Zobell
Choreographers and Fight Choreographers: Kelly d’Amboise, Dani Ebbin, Pauline Grossman, Maurice Johnson and Casey Kaleba
Local music directors: Warren Freeman, Elisa Rosman and Bill Yanesh