June 6 – 18, 2022
Designed for college students and recent graduates, Overtures is a two-week intensive, professional training program designed to provide students with the necessary steppingstones from university training to working in musical theatre professionally. Rigorous and personalized instruction in vocal technique, song interpretation, acting and auditions in both group and private settings with professional directors, music directors, choreographers, casting directors and actors make Overtures a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Overtures 2022 runs Monday through Saturday, June 6 — 18, 10AM — 9PM, with approximately nine hours of training each day, leaving sufficient time for meals and rest. Most days consist of a combination of classes, private sessions and master classes. The experience culminates with an audition for local professional casting directors, a showcase for the public. Each student will also leave with high quality, prerecorded monologues and songs for use in video auditions and on their personal websites.
Overtures is overseen by Signature’s Artistic Department. In previous years, core faculty has included Signature’s Artistic Director, Matthew Gardiner; award winning actress and voice teacher, Tracy Lynn Olivera; critically acclaimed choreographers like Karma Camp and Rickey Tripp; professional music director Bobby McCoy, and professional actor Gregory Wooddell. While we aren’t ready to announce the 2022 faculty yet, we will post updates soon.
Following the audition for local casting directors, students perform a fully staged showcase for the public. This showcase features solos, duets, ensemble numbers and monologues. The 2022 Overtures showcase will take place on June 18 at 10:30AM in the MAX Theatre at Signature. The performance is free and open to the public. No reservations are accepted or required.
Auditions for Overtures 2022 will take place on January 29, 2022 on Zoom from 11AM to 1PM. Auditioning for Overtures is a three-step process:
1. Register: Audition appointments will be available starting January 1, 2022. To schedule an appointment, please contact Matthew Strote at email@example.com.
2. Vocal and acting audition: Auditioning students need a prepared, memorized and contemporary one-minute monologue and a 32-bar musical theatre song. The song must be accompanied (you may use a live accompaniment or a pre-recorded track. If using a track, please play your track on a different device than the one you are running Zoom on.)
3. Dance audition: Shortly after you have registered for an audition, Signature Education will send you a dance video from an area choreographer. You will be responsible for practicing with the video and then filming yourself doing the dance in appropriate dance attire and in sufficient space for dancing. The video will be due on January 31. More information will be provided when the dance video is sent to you.
If you cannot attend the live auditions on January 29, you may apply by submitting your contact information and video submissions here. The three videos should consist of:
- A prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue.
- A 32-bar musical theater song.
- A demonstration of your dance and movement experience.
- Video submissions must be submitted by February 4, 2022.
Students must be at least 18 years old to audition for Overtures. Students 14 to 17 years old are invited to audition for Signature’s acclaimed Stage One workshop. Click here for more information on Stage One.
Tuition for 2022 Overtures will be $1,754. Housing availability is very limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additional costs for housing can be expected.
Signature Education believes that no one should miss out on arts training because they cannot afford it. Fellowships are available for applicants with special circumstances. A limited number of full and partial tuition fellowships are made possible by individual and organizational donors. Fellowship funds can also be awarded for travel, housing and per diem expenses. To apply for a fellowship, click here.
Health and Safety
Signature Theatre is continually updating its plans in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. All students attending auditions and participating in the program will need to provide proof of vaccination. As we get closer to Overtures 2022, we will announce Signature Education’s formal plans for health and safety. We promise that we will continue our proven track record of providing the highest artistic development in an environment that adheres to protocol that ensures safety and comfort of each participant. To learn about safety protocol for previous Signature Education programs, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guest instructors have included:
- Broadway performers: Nancy Anderson, Hunter Bell, Nick Blaemire, Heidi Blickenstaff, Matt Bogart, Alex Brightman, Carolee Carmello, Ariana Debose, Natascia Diaz, Eden Espinosa, Tim Federle, Marc Kudisch, Judy Kuhn, Norm Lewis, Emily Skinner and Vishal Vaidya
- Songwriters: Jeff Bowen, Zina Goldrich, Ricky Ian Gordon, Marcy Heisler and Richard Maltby
- New York Casting Directors: Stuart Howard and Tara Rubin
- Broadway Directors: Jeff Calhoun and Michael Arden