June 19 – July 1, 2023
Designed for college-aged students and recent graduates, Overtures is a two-week intensive, professional training program designed to provide students with the necessary steppingstones from university training to working in musical theatre professionally. Rigorous and personalized instruction in vocal technique, song interpretation, acting and auditions in both group and private settings with professional directors, music directors, choreographers, casting directors and actors make Overtures a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Overtures 2023 runs Monday through Saturday, June 19 — July 1, 10AM — 9PM, with approximately nine hours of training each day, leaving sufficient time for meals and rest. Most days consist of a combination of classes, private sessions and master classes. The experience culminates with an audition for local professional casting directors, a showcase for the public. Each student will also leave with high quality, prerecorded monologues and songs for use in video auditions and on their personal websites.
Overtures is overseen by Signature’s Artistic Department. In previous years, core faculty has included Signature’s Artistic Director, Matthew Gardiner; award winning actress and voice teacher, Tracy Lynn Olivera; critically acclaimed choreographers like Karma Camp and Rickey Tripp; professional music director Bobby McCoy, and professional actors Gregory Wooddell and Holly Twyford. While we aren’t ready to announce the 2023 faculty yet, we will post updates soon.
Following the audition for local casting directors, students perform a fully staged showcase for the public. This showcase features solos, duets, ensemble numbers and monologues. The 2023 Overtures showcase will take place on July 1 in the MAX Theater at Signature. The performance is free and open to the public. No reservations are accepted or required. More information on this will be posted soon.
Auditions for Overtures 2023 will take place on February 18, 2023 from 10AM to 1PM at Signature Theatre. Auditioning for Overtures is a three-step process:
1. Register: Audition appointments will be available starting January 1, 2023. To schedule an appointment, please contact Matthew Strote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Dance audition: All auditioning students begin the day promptly at 10AM for a group dance call. This is a mandatory step of the audition. Following the dance audition, students will be given time to change clothing and prepare for the next step.
3. Vocal and acting audition: Auditioning students need a prepared, memorized and contemporary one-minute monologue and a 32-bar musical theatre song. The song must be accompanied (there will be an accompanist in the room).
If you cannot attend the live auditions on February 18, you may apply by submitting your contact information and a video submission to the link below. The three videos should consist of:
- A prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue.
- A 32-bar musical theater song.
- A demonstration of your dance and movement experience. Preferably a combo or sequence you have recently worked on.
Video submissions must be submitted by February 23, 2023.
Students must be at least 18 years old to audition for Overtures. Students 14 to 17 years old are invited to audition for Signature’s acclaimed Stage One workshop. Click here for more information on Stage One.
Tuition for Overtures 2023 will be $1,755. Housing availability is very limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis, should it be available. Additional costs for housing can be expected.
Signature Education believes that no one should miss out on arts training because they cannot afford it. Fellowships are available for applicants with special circumstances. A limited number of full and partial tuition fellowships are made possible by individual and organizational donors. Fellowship funds can also be awarded for travel, housing and per diem expenses. Click here to apply for a fellowship.
Health and Safety
Signature Theatre is continually updating its plans in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. All students attending auditions and participating in the program will need to provide proof of vaccination. As we get closer to Overtures 2023, we will announce Signature Education’s formal plans for health and safety. We promise that we will continue our proven track record of providing the highest artistic development in an environment that adheres to protocol that ensures safety and comfort of each participant. To learn about safety protocol for previous Signature Education programs, contact us at email@example.com.
Guest instructors have included:
- Broadway performers: Nancy Anderson, Hunter Bell, Nick Blaemire, Heidi Blickenstaff, Matt Bogart, Alex Brightman, Carolee Carmello, Ariana Debose, Natascia Diaz, Eden Espinosa, Tim Federle, Marc Kudisch, Judy Kuhn, Norm Lewis, Emily Skinner and Vishal Vaidya
- Songwriters: Jeff Bowen, Zina Goldrich, Ricky Ian Gordon, Marcy Heisler and Richard Maltby
- New York Casting Directors: Stuart Howard and Tara Rubin
- Broadway Directors: Jeff Calhoun and Michael Arden