June 18 – 30, 2018
Designed for college students and recent graduates, Overtures is a two-week intensive, professional training program that provides rigorous and comprehensive instruction in vocal technique, performance technique, dance, acting and audition skills.
Students participate in classes, private sessions and master classes from 10AM to 9PM six days a week from June 18 to June 30. The experience culminates with an audition for local professional casting directors and a showcase for the public.
Overtures is overseen by Signature’s Associate Artistic Director, Matthew Gardiner. In addition to Mr. Gardiner, the faculty for Overtures has also included Karma Camp, award-winning professional choreographer; Signature’s Artistic Director, Eric Schaeffer; professional actress and vocal instructor Tracy Lynn Olivera; professional music director Jay Crowder; and award-winning director and playwright Aaron Posner. Keep an eye on this page for announcements regarding the 2018 teaching faculty.
Following the audition for local casting directors, students perform a fully-staged showcase for the public. This showcase features solos, duets, ensemble numbers, scenes and monologues. The 2018 Overtures showcase will take place on June 30 at 11AM in the MAX Theatre at Signature. The performance is free and open to the public. No reservations are accepted or required.
Auditions for Overtures 2018 will take place on March 3 from 10AM to 2PM at Signature Theatre. Auditioning for Overtures is a three-step process:
1. Register: Audition appointments will be available starting February 3, 2018. To schedule an appointment, please contact Matthew Strote at 571 527 1857.
2. Dance audition: All auditioning students begin the day promptly at 10AM for a group dance call. This is a mandatory part of the audition. Following the dance audition, students will be given time to change clothing and prepare for the next step.
3. Vocal and acting audition: Following the dance call, students will be seen individually for a vocal and acting audition (this is the part you can preregister for!). Auditioning students need two things: a prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue and a 32-bar musical theater song. An accompanist will be provided. Following your private audition, you’re free to go!
If you cannot attend the on-site auditions at Signature, you may apply by sending a video submission to firstname.lastname@example.org consisting of:
- A prepared and memorized contemporary one-minute monologue.
- A 32-bar musical theater song.
- A demonstration of your dance and movement experience.
Video submissions must be submitted by March 5, 2018.
Students must be at least 17 years old to audition for Overtures. Students 14 to 17 years old are invited to audition for Signature’s acclaimed Stage One workshop. Click here for more information on Stage One.
Tuition for 2018 Overtures will be $1,753. Housing availability is very limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additional costs for housing can be expected.
Fellowships are available for applicants with special circumstances. A limited number of full and partial tuition fellowships are made possible by individual and organizational donors. Fellowship funds can also be awarded for travel, housing and per diem expenses.
Guest instructors have included:
- Tony Award® winners: Donna McKechnie and Marsha Norman
- Broadway performers: Hunter Bell, Heidi Blickenstaff, Matt Bogart, Carolee Carmello, Natascia Diaz, Tim Federle, Marc Kudisch, Norm Lewis and Emily Skinner
- Songwriters: Jeff Bowen, Zina Goldrich, Ricky Ian Gordon, Marcy Heisler and Richard Maltby
- New York Casting Directors: Stuart Howard and Tara Rubin
- Broadway Director: Jeff Calhoun
- NBC Producer Dean McFlicker