Jobs & Internships
Part-Time House ManagerSignature Theatre seeks a part-time House Manager. House Managers are responsible for providing a high standard of guest service in order to achieve and maintain customer loyalty from both subscribers and single ticket buyers, maximize revenue for the Signature Shop, and directly supervise members of the Signature Volunteer Usher Corps. House Managers report to the Front of House Operations Manager. House Managers are expected to provide the best patron experience possible at mainstage Signature productions, cabarets, and other events throughout the year.
- Provide a high level of guest services dealing with all comments and points raised by the public in Front of House areas and following up these points by immediate action or in consultation.
- Maintain all Front of House areas, including lobbies, theatre spaces, Shop and Coat Check.
- Set up and restore the house prior to and after each performance.
- Serve as an active member of the Front of House department and support the Front of House Operations Manager in upkeep of the department by attending team meetings, assisting with volunteer trainings, and completing other assigned special projects.
- Work proactively to anticipate the needs of patrons and Signature Theatre.
- Be prepared to handle emergency situations in a calm and instructive manner.
- Maintain and distribute performance reports.
- Provide detailed information to all departments on performance and front of house related issues.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
How To Apply
Signature Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to email@example.com. Please use the subject line “House Manager.”
Institutional Giving Manager
Signature Theatre seeks an Institutional Giving Manager to serve as part of a two-person institutional giving team and a seven-person development department. The person in this role will provide core support for Signature’s institutional fundraising efforts. With a primary focus on foundations and corporations, this position will provide essential researching, writing, and adapting materials for proposals, reports, letters, and electronic solicitations; managing donor fulfillment and recognition; and implementing strategies to meet and exceed Signature’s institutional giving goals. This position works to maintain and increase support from Signature’s current institutional funders and meet or exceed Signature’s $1,000,000-plus annual institutional giving goal. This position reports to the Director of Institutional Giving.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce, draft, and edit grant applications, proposals, presentations, reports, and other correspondence associated with cultivating and securing grants from institutional funders
- Help identify and research new prospects, maintain prospect lists, and assist with preparing meeting and briefing materials
- Coordinate the fulfillment of institutional funder benefit packages, including handling ticket requests, acknowledging contributions, and ensuring appropriate acknowledgment
- Ensures grant and gift stewardship, including grant acknowledgments and benefits fulfillment
- Works with the Director of Institutional Giving and other program staff in producing report materials, including collecting institutional, program and financial data
- Create and maintain institutional funding database records in Tessitura; implement mailings to institutional donors and prospects
- Participate in staffing opening nights and cultivation events throughout the year, including Signature’s annual Sondheim Award Gala
- Supports Signature’s development department with other assigned duties
- Bachelor’s degree
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, and highly organized
- Excellent verbal, writing, and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Maintains a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Strong computer proficiency including Microsoft Office and donor database software;
- 1-3 years of experience in grant writing or development at a non-profit organization
- A strong interest in theater or the arts is preferred
- Some evening and weekend work required
How to Apply
Submit a letter of application, resume, and writing sample to:
4200 Campbell Avenue
Arlington, VA 22206
Education and Community Outreach Internship
Signature Theatre’s Education Department operates year-round and has full and part-time internships available throughout the year. Education interns should be current college students who are planning on actively pursuing careers in theater. Interns are treated as a vital part of Signature’s staff and gain valuable real-life work experience at a professional, award-winning, nationally-renowned theater. All interns at Signature Theatre must be currently enrolled in school and must be receiving credit for their internship. Signature will modify the internship to meet the requirements of your university’s career or internship office.
Signature Theatre’s Education programs have received national recognition and respect. Interns in the Education department fill a vital role, serving in administrative, teaching and dramaturgical capacities. Interns assist with Signature in the Schools in rehearsals, in-class workshops and in preparation of study materials studied by nearly 1,800 students annually. Additionally, they coordinate free community events, summer programming, assist in supervising The Apprentice at Signature program, and oversee administration for classes and programs. They also help maintain administrative duties for all Education programs. On occasion, they may serve as a dramaturg for Signature’s main stage productions.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter stating your goals and expectations for an internship position with Signature and the time period for which you would like to be considered (fall, spring, or summer).
Also include a résumé listing your educational background, work history, and theater/arts experience with references and an official college transcript. Applications with staples will be automatically rejected.
Send application materials to:
4200 Campbell Ave.
Arlington, VA 22206
Or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQ: How will I know my application materials have been received? A member of Signature’s Education department will contact you to let you know your materials have been received.
How long will it take to know if a decision has been made regarding my application? It can take several weeks to hear back on the status of an application. We appreciate your patience.
Who should I use as reference? We recommend professionals or educators who know you personally and who have worked with you. Look at the intern descriptions and qualifications. Are there people who have worked with you in similar capacities? Those are the people to ask.
Are interns paid? Interns are not paid, however, Signature will work closely with your university to ensure you receive credit for your time at Signature.
Does Signature provide housing for interns? Unfortunately, we cannot provide housing for interns. There are several websites and organizations in the DC area that can aid in finding housing for internships including The Washington Intern Housing Network. We will be happy to put you in contact with other interns who may be in need of roommates.
Is Signature Metro accessible? Signature Theatre is located in The Village at Shirlington, which is not Metro accessible. However, several buses leave from the nearby Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Pentagon stations to Shirlington on a regular basis. Additionally, there is a substantial amount of free parking near the Theatre.
Is it possible to receive school credit for my internship? It is! If your school offers credit for internships, and you are interested in receiving credit for your internship at Signature, please make sure we know what’s required of you and, just as importantly, what’s required of us!
What are the hours for internships? Generally, interns will be expected to work Monday through Friday from 10 AM to 6 PM. However, occasional evenings, early hours or weekends may be expected.
Is it possible to be a full-time intern at Signature and hold an outside job? While some have done it in the past, we wouldn’t recommend it. Interning at Signature is a full-time job and depending on the internship, the schedule can fluctuate from week to week, making it difficult to pursue outside work.
For more information about our internship opportunities, please contact Signature’s Education Department at 571 527 1854 or email@example.com.