Jobs & Internships
Signature Theatre, a Tony-award winning theater in the Washington DC metro, seeks an experienced Props Master. Signature produces an average of eight mainstage productions each season on two flexible black box stages: the 275 seat MAX Theatre and the 112 seat ARK Theatre. We also produce a series of cabarets, a student production through our education department, and facilitate a series of readings and workshops of new works.
The Props Master oversees all aspects of planning, purchasing, and constructing properties for company productions, oversees an Associate Props Master and a roster of overhire artisans, works with the Production Manager to develop season budgets and track properties expenses, and coordinates with other departments on crossover production elements.
Qualified applicants will possess a broad background in wood and metal working, upholstery, fabric work, paper crafts, and stage painting; a proven track record as a manager, with experience coordinating overhire staffing; excellent problem solving and communication skills; and be a strong collaborator. Experience with new works and musicals preferred.
Full time, annual exempt positionwith benefit package; EOE.
To apply, email cover letter and résumé to Jim Gross, Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “Signature Props Master Position”. No mail or phone submissions, please.
Front of House Operations Manager
Signature Theatre seeks a Front of House Operations Manager with facilities or operations management experience, who excels at customer service, with outstanding communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail, and prompt and thorough follow-through. This position’s primary responsibility is ensuring a fantastic experience for Signature’s audience from the moment they enter the front door until they leave. This position is part of Signature’s marketing team and reports to the Director of Marketing.
Front of House Responsibilities:
- Hire, train and supervise Signature’s house managers. Including overseeing work schedules, processing payroll, providing training and continuing education and leading Front of House team meetings.
- Oversee patron accessibility needs and programs, including mobility needs, GalaPro application, captioned performances, assistive listening, ASL interpreters, and audio description.
- Signature has changeable black box theaters. For each new seating configuration, advise on potential audience traffic patterns, plan entrances and egresses, and work with production to remove any potential patron impediments.
- Ensure that the public areas of the theater stay clean and in good working order. Coordinate with production department on maintenance issues.
- Ensure patron seating areas are clean, orderly and free from hazards.
- Create and execute emergency plans including life safety, fire egress, power outages, etc. and oversee training of staff in these areas. Remain on call in the event of an emergency or oversee emergency personnel designations during performance times.
- Work closely with box office, bar, stage management, production and others to create and deliver superlative customer experiences.
- Fill in as needed as House Manager on duty.
Volunteer Coordination Responsibilities:
- Recruit, train and act as the main point of contact for Signature’s volunteers (ushers and administrative volunteers). Ensure excellent customer service from all Signature volunteers.
- Set up volunteer schedules in coordination through the volunteer scheduling application Volunteer Scheduler Pro. Make sure that enough volunteers are scheduled for all of Signature’s public events.
- Nurture a positive and enjoyable volunteer program to achieve excellent customer service for Signature audiences.
- Provide support and further training for volunteers not meeting expectations or find graceful exit strategies for volunteers whose work is below standards.
- Plan volunteer appreciation events.
Signature Shop Responsibilities:
- Set up displays and run the lobby shop, which includes Signature show merchandise as well as consignment merchandise from performers.
- Set up and maintain merchandise point of sale system (Square).
- Maintain accurate inventory and provide weekly sales reports. Work diligently to prevent loss.
- Work with Signature’s accounting department in an accurate and timely way for daily cash needs, inventory reports and check requests for consignment inventory.
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience or ability in the following areas:
- Operations or facility management and customer service management. Previous theater management experience is highly desirable.
- Supervisory experience – including hiring and training employees.
- Excellent interpersonal communications and strong public speaking skills.
- Basic budgeting and financial literacy knowledge.
- Strong computer skills in order to understand and use Signature’s CRM and Sales Software – Tessitura, Volunteer Scheduler Pro, Square and others.
- Ability to lift and transport heavy boxes of merchandise and supplies.
- Driver’s License and access to a car is a plus.
- Willingness to perform other duties as requested.
Compensation: This position offers a middle managerial level salary with excellent benefits including medical, dental, disability and life insurance; vacation, sick and parental leave; as well as complimentary and discount tickets. This is a full-time, salaried exempt position, including some weekends and evenings.
How to Apply: For consideration, please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Front of House Operations Manager.
Signature Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Part-Time House ManagerSignature Theatre seeks a part-time House Manager. House Managers are responsible for providing a high standard of guest service in order to achieve and maintain customer loyalty from both subscribers and single ticket buyers, maximize revenue for the Signature Shop, and directly supervise members of the Signature Volunteer Usher Corps. House Managers report to the Front of House Operations Manager. House Managers are expected to provide the best patron experience possible at mainstage Signature productions, cabarets, and other events throughout the year.
- Provide a high level of guest services dealing with all comments and points raised by the public in Front of House areas and following up these points by immediate action or in consultation.
- Maintain all Front of House areas, including lobbies, theatre spaces, Shop and Coat Check.
- Set up and restore the house prior to and after each performance.
- Serve as an active member of the Front of House department and support the Front of House Operations Manager in upkeep of the department by attending team meetings, assisting with volunteer trainings, and completing other assigned special projects.
- Work proactively to anticipate the needs of patrons and Signature Theatre.
- Be prepared to handle emergency situations in a calm and instructive manner.
- Maintain and distribute performance reports.
- Provide detailed information to all departments on performance and front of house related issues.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
How To Apply
Signature Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Email resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “House Manager.”
Education and Community Outreach Internship
Signature Theatre’s Education Department operates year-round and has full and part-time internships available throughout the year. Education interns should be current college students who are planning on actively pursuing careers in theater. Interns are treated as a vital part of Signature’s staff and gain valuable real-life work experience at a professional, award-winning, nationally-renowned theater. All interns at Signature Theatre must be currently enrolled in school and must be receiving credit for their internship. Signature will modify the internship to meet the requirements of your university’s career or internship office.
Signature Theatre’s Education programs have received national recognition and respect. Interns in the Education department fill a vital role, serving in administrative, teaching and dramaturgical capacities. Interns assist with Signature in the Schools in rehearsals, in-class workshops and in preparation of study materials studied by nearly 1,800 students annually. Additionally, they coordinate free community events, summer programming, assist in supervising The Apprentice at Signature program, and oversee administration for classes and programs. They also help maintain administrative duties for all Education programs. On occasion, they may serve as a dramaturg for Signature’s main stage productions.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter stating your goals and expectations for an internship position with Signature and the time period for which you would like to be considered (fall, spring, or summer).
Also include a résumé listing your educational background, work history, and theater/arts experience with references and an official college transcript. Applications with staples will be automatically rejected.
Send application materials to:
4200 Campbell Ave.
Arlington, VA 22206
Or to email@example.com.
FAQ: How will I know my application materials have been received? A member of Signature’s Education department will contact you to let you know your materials have been received.
How long will it take to know if a decision has been made regarding my application? It can take several weeks to hear back on the status of an application. We appreciate your patience.
Who should I use as reference? We recommend professionals or educators who know you personally and who have worked with you. Look at the intern descriptions and qualifications. Are there people who have worked with you in similar capacities? Those are the people to ask.
Are interns paid? Interns are not paid, however, Signature will work closely with your university to ensure you receive credit for your time at Signature.
Does Signature provide housing for interns? Unfortunately, we cannot provide housing for interns. There are several websites and organizations in the DC area that can aid in finding housing for internships including The Washington Intern Housing Network. We will be happy to put you in contact with other interns who may be in need of roommates.
Is Signature Metro accessible? Signature Theatre is located in The Village at Shirlington, which is not Metro accessible. However, several buses leave from the nearby Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Pentagon stations to Shirlington on a regular basis. Additionally, there is a substantial amount of free parking near the Theatre.
Is it possible to receive school credit for my internship? It is! If your school offers credit for internships, and you are interested in receiving credit for your internship at Signature, please make sure we know what’s required of you and, just as importantly, what’s required of us!
What are the hours for internships? Generally, interns will be expected to work Monday through Friday from 10 AM to 6 PM. However, occasional evenings, early hours or weekends may be expected.
Is it possible to be a full-time intern at Signature and hold an outside job? While some have done it in the past, we wouldn’t recommend it. Interning at Signature is a full-time job and depending on the internship, the schedule can fluctuate from week to week, making it difficult to pursue outside work.
For more information about our internship opportunities, please contact Signature’s Education Department at 571 527 1854 or firstname.lastname@example.org.