June 20 – July 2, 2016
Designed for college students and recent graduates, Overtures is a two-week intensive, professional training program that provides rigorous and comprehensive instruction in vocal and performance technique, dance, acting and audition skills.
Students participate in classes, private sessions and master classes, from 10AM to 9PM, six days a week from June 20 to July 2. The experience culminates with an audition for local professional casting directors.
Following the audition for local casting directors, students perform a fully-staged showcase for the public. This showcase features solos, duets, ensemble numbers, scenes and monologues. The 2016 Overtures showcase will take place on July 2 at 11AM in the MAX Theatre at Signature. The performance is free and open to the public. No reservations are accepted or required.
Auditions for Overtures 2016 have already taken place. Check back in August for information on Overtures 2017.
Tuition information for Overtures 2017 will be posted in August. Check back soon!
Fellowships are available for applicants with special circumstances. A limited number of full and partial tuition fellowships are made possible by individual and organizational donors. Fellowship funds can also be awarded for travel, housing and per diem expenses.
Guest instructors have included:
- Tony Award® winners: Harriet Harris, Donna McKechnie and Marsha Norman
- Broadway performers: Hunter Bell, Heidi Blickenstaff, Matt Bogart, Carolee Carmello, Tim Federle, Marc Kudisch, Norm Lewis and Emily Skinner
- Songwriters: Jeff Bowen, Zina Goldrich, Ricky Ian Gordon, Marcy Heisler and Richard Maltby
- New York Casting Directors: Stuart Howard and Tara Rubin
- NBC Producer Dean McFlicker