Designed for college students and recent graduates, Overtures is a two-week intensive, professional training program that provides rigorous and comprehensive instruction in vocal and performance technique, dance, acting and audition skills.
Students participate in classes, private sessions and master classes, from 10AM to 9PM, six days a week in late June. The experience culminates with an audition for local professional casting directors.
Following the audition for local casting directors, students perform a fully-staged showcase for the public. This showcase features solos, duets, ensemble numbers, scenes and monologues.
Auditions for Overtures: The Musical Theatre Institute have already taken place. Please check back in 2018 for information about next year’s program.
Tuition for the 2017 Overtures: Musical Theatre Institute will be $1,752. Housing availability is very limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additional costs for housing can be expected.
Fellowships are available for applicants with special circumstances. A limited number of full and partial tuition fellowships are made possible by individual and organizational donors. Fellowship funds can also be awarded for travel, housing and per diem expenses.
Guest instructors have included:
- Tony Award® winners: Harriet Harris, Donna McKechnie and Marsha Norman
- Broadway performers: Hunter Bell, Heidi Blickenstaff, Matt Bogart, Carolee Carmello, Tim Federle, Marc Kudisch, Norm Lewis and Emily Skinner
- Songwriters: Jeff Bowen, Zina Goldrich, Ricky Ian Gordon, Marcy Heisler and Richard Maltby
- New York Casting Directors: Stuart Howard and Tara Rubin
- NBC Producer Dean McFlicker