Signature Theatre is committed to the development of new work and has the largest musical theatre commissioning programs in the country. Signature Theatre however does not accept unsolicited scripts.
Occasionally Signature will announce a call for open submissions for new works. Those calls will be announced on this page, so please check back periodically.
SigWorks: Musical Theater Lab
Open Call for Submissions through December 1, 2016 at 11:59PM for the 2017 Summer Labs
Signature Theatre is thrilled to invite musical theatre writers to submit their new musicals to be chosen for development in the summer of 2017 at Signature‘s SigWorks: Musical Theater Lab. Two musicals will be chosen for a two week development workshop during which each project will receive public readings at the end of each week. The projects, under leadership of Signature‘s Director of New Works Joe Calarco, will each receive a director, assistant director, a music director and a dramaturge. The writers of the chosen musicals will receive housing, travel and an honorarium.
Submissions will be accepted through December 1, and are open to United States writers only.
SigWorks: Musical Theater Lab Submission Guidelines
- Project must be a musical.
- Open submissions to all United States residents.
- Project cannot have been previously produced, but may have received prior workshops or readings.
- Commissioned work is eligible for submission; however, playwrights must obtain written permission from their commissioning organization prior to applying.
- Original and adapted works are accepted providing the rights to any material not in the public domain has been granted in writing.
- Artists may only submit one project.
- Projects scheduled to start rehearsals for a professional production before October 26 of the festival year (2017) are not eligible due to their agreement with Equity.
How to Apply
There is a $35 application fee to submit a musical to SigWorks: Musical Theater Lab, payable online.
Please note: We have set up a fake ticket so that the registration fees may be easily paid online. Please use PRINT AT HOME as your delivery method. After your payment is completed you will receive an email from Signature with instructions and your Dropbox link for uploading the required materials.
Required Materials For documents, please use PDF format; for sound files, mp3 or mp4. Please label ALL FILES in the following format:
LastNamesOfAuthors_Name of File
Examples: Sun_White_Artistic Statement.pdf
- 1-2 page artistic statement stating the team’s objectives for the workshop.
- A biography or resume for each creative artist (no more than one page in length)
- A synopsis of the work (no more than one page in length)
- A cast breakdown (no more than one page in length). Please make sure to include ages, ethnicities and any other information that would be pertinent to the casting process.
- A history of the works development prior to submission.
- The first 25 pages of the script.
- At least 5 musical selections as audio files.
- Letter of acknowledgement from a commissioning organization (if applicable).
- Proof of fully secured rights if the proposed project is an adaptation of an existing work that is not in the public domain (if applicable)
- A single page with the name and contact information (phone, address and email) for each creative artist.
- Assistant Director
- Music Director
- Stage Manager
Future participation for Signature
- Theatre Artists own their work fully, Signature will not take royalties
- Artists required to publish Signature Theatres logo, bio, original director and credit:
- “[Title of Project] was developed, in part, at Signature Theatre in a workshop directed by [name of director]. Eric Schaeffer Artistic Director; Maggie Boland Managing Director
This credit is required on the title page of all printed materials of future readings, workshops, productions, recordings, and publications of their projects.