Explore the costume construction process from sketches on paper to the wearable piece. So many hands are involved before the actor ever puts on a garment: from the designer to the draper, first hand, and stitcher, all the way up to the wardrobe department, who performs maintenance of the pieces during the show. Costume Designer Alison Samantha Johnson and Signature’s Associate Costume Director Natalie Kurczewski share their experience and dynamic working together, along with a special hands-on activity.
- Who is involved with building costumes
- The roles of a draper, a stitcher, first hand, dresser and wardrobe runner
- How a designer works with the costume shop
- Tricks of the trade: how to create “theatre magic,” such as a quick-change
- Hands-on activity: how to make a dart. Items needed: a sewing machine, a spool of thread (any color) and a scrap of fabric at least 12”x12”
Masterclass will take place over Zoom.
Registration will close at 6PM the day of the event.